Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Snippet

Book 1: Gods of Love series
In honor of the upcoming Valentine's Day, this is week two highlighting my Cupid titles. This week, I'm featuring the first book in my Gods of Love series. Enjoy!
~~*~~
Daphne Charissa isn't a chubby little guy with wings and a quiver of arrows. But she does belong to the Cupid race—a race of devastatingly beautiful creatures who excel at helping others find love, while remaining loveless themselves throughout their long lives.

When Daphne falls in love with Bion Chronos, she launches the two of them into a direct confrontation with the Furies as they fight to protect their own love and win release from the curse of lovelessness for the whole Cupid race. The problem is, the Furies have no intention of letting them win, and the lovers can't seem to keep their hands off each other long enough to form a coherent plan.

It's gonna be an interesting battle.



The Romance Studio gives Nocked Over 5 Hearts! "...a book that literally rocks with fun and eroticism. This is one of many of this author's tales that turn a fact of life we can relate to into a book we'll find hard to put down." ~ Dee Dailey, The Romance Studio

"I absolutely LOVED Nocked Over! Ms. Cheever has a beautiful voice and a light touch with her characters. I simply cannot imagine a reader who would not love Nocked Over.... What are you waiting for? Go get a copy of Nocked Over! As for me, I'm chasing down another of Sam Cheever's books." ~ Marcy Arbitman, JERR

"A delight from beginning to end, Nocked Over will have you rapidly turning the pages to see what happens next. The ending is wonderful. Run out and get a copy of Nocked Over and delight in the tale of Bion and Daphne. You will not be disappointed." ~ Elise Lyn, SensualReads.com

"There is only one thing I can say about this book.........FANTABULOSO!!!!!!!! I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read it again.....and again....and again....and..yeah okay, you get the idea..."
~ Seriously Reviewed

~~*~~



I knew he’d entered the building as soon as his feet hit the foyer tile.

I hurried toward my office, preferring to meet him under the professional aura the tastefully decorated room provided. I had just landed in my chair when I heard the elevator ding.

The heavy doors slid open.

I forced myself to turn away from my open office door. Peering at my computer screen without really seeing it, I visualized him as he stalked toward my office door, his long, elegant limbs moving with the grace of a large cat and his gorgeous gray-green eyes focused on me behind my desk.

I studiously ignored him.

He didn’t speak.

It wasn’t the first time I’d gotten the impression he knew that I was able to sense his presence, even when I pretended that I couldn’t.

I turned finally, unable to resist and sucked in a breath before I could stop myself.

Bion Chronos was not a god but he should have been.

His long body leaned against the door frame with a muscular grace that was inborn and unconscious rather than studied. One shoulder, amazingly broad, leaned casually against the polished wood and his long arms crossed his chest, bulging a bit under the tight white shirt he wore.

The shirt was unbuttoned at the top, showing soft, dark curls across a broad chest and had been left untucked. His ridiculously long legs were crossed too and were encased in tight jeans. One scuffed brown boot was tucked over the other on the shiny cherry floor of my office.

My eyes caressed the entire picture, from the top of his head, covered in silky black hair that was cut short to frame a strong face, down the long length of him, to the heavy boots. Then, against my will, my gaze started back up, lingering a bit too long somewhere in the middle, where the jeans did some really nice things just under the loose tails of the shirt.

I licked my lips and forced myself to look at his face, which wasn’t exactly a hardship. His eyes were a dark, gray-green, surrounded by thick, black lashes. His jaw was strong and square, with a permanent dark stubble that he couldn’t seem to stay ahead of with his razor. His chin had a large dimple in the middle that I wanted to stick my tongue into.

His skin was a dark and probably natural golden brown.

I did a mental head shake and blinked, realizing how far I’d fallen beyond my professional and self imposed restrictions. Gulping audibly, I focused my gaze on his gorgeous eyes.

They had the longest, thickest lashes I’d ever seen.

“Hello, Daphne.” His voice was husky and deeper than an exploratory well in the Sahara.

I gulped again. “Mr. Chronos.”

He shook his dark head and pushed himself away from the door frame. He didn’t exactly walk toward me. It was more like he sauntered across the room, the casualness of the movement not hiding the firm purpose inherent in his steps. He stopped in front of my desk and placed both hands on its cluttered surface. He leaned toward me over the desk, his full lips slightly open and gave me a slow smile. “I must insist you call me Bion.”

His cologne swamped me in masculine musk, urging me into its sphere like a vampire’s call. I felt my eyes widen. I wasn’t entirely sure that the aroma came from a bottle. I suspected it was his own personal scent, pure male pheromones.

I couldn’t help myself, I leaned away in self defense and pushed my chair back a bit frantically, catching my foot on a slightly ajar drawer and nicking my soft, black leather boot.

“Damn!” I muttered. They had been my favorite pair of boots.

He lifted his hands from the surface of my desk and lowered himself into the chair that had previously contained Dema Pence. His eyes tracked me carefully as I moved around my office, pretending to shut it down for the night.

I was really just stalling for time. Trying to figure out how I could get out of the appointment.

When I ran out of things to do I turned to him and forced a smile. “I guess I’m ready.”

He gave me a slow grin that melted the ligaments in my knees. “And you’re obviously thrilled.”

I smiled. I couldn’t help it. Shrugging, I grabbed my purse and headed toward the door. He fell in behind me, placing his hand in the small of my back.

My skin, under his hand, tingled deliciously.

“I am. I love my job, Mr…”

“Uh uh uh.” He shook a long finger at me. The nail on the end was clean, square and nicely trimmed.
Incredibly I think I blushed. “Bion.”

“Generally I feel sorry for workaholics, Daphne. But in your case I’m pleased that your work forces you to spend time with me.”

I did a mental head shake, deciding that Mr. Chronos and I would need to have an understanding. Obviously he wasn’t up on the whole, untouchable Cupid thing. Not that I could tell him I was a Cupid. Humans didn’t know, nor would they believe if they knew, about my race.

It was just better for everyone if we kept a low profile.

But occasionally a human tried to breach the unspoken laws governing our two races. That would be fine except that, ultimately, they always rejected us for reasons that even they didn’t fathom.

It had been declared by the gods. Cupids could not enjoy long-lasting love.

An unbreakable rule.

Yet, as Bion Chronos carefully handed me into his small, black sports car and leaned over me unnecessarily to click my seat belt closed, I inhaled his wonderful musk and wished it wasn’t so.

For about the hundredth time since he’d walked into my life.

No comments: