Thursday, July 5, 2007

A Day in the Life of Sam

Okay, for those of you who think you have busy lives...I just wanted to share my day, yesterday, with you. First of all, a little background info.

I have 1 husband, 2 daughters, 9 dogs, 4 horses, and 2 cats. And every last one of them needs me to be involved with every blasted thing they do. Here's how my 4th of July went:

I got up at 5:00 am, made coffee, did some writing, caught up on my emails, checked the loops, and commented on topics of discussion that interested me.

Then I went out to the barn, fed the horses and cats, and did my barn chores.

When I came back into the house, the DH wanted to run errands and have breakfast out so we headed into town. On the way back home my oldest daughter called the DH's cell phone.

Horror of horrors, the whirling dervish was awake.

I got home and she wanted to go ride the horses. I rode 2 horses, tidied up the barn again, and came into the house to shower. As I came in the door the DH screamed out, "let's go have lunch, I'm starving."

So I do the best I can to make myself presentable without showering and off we go to have lunch.

I return home just in time to leave again with the 2 girls to go to the grocery. We buy food for our 4th of July BBQ and return home, where I spend an hour marinating, chopping, mixing, and boiling to prep for the evening's meal.

Then...off to tennis.

We play tennis in the broiling hot sun for an hour and a half and then head home. At this point I grab 5 minutes to myself, flaked out on the floor in the living room, covered by dogs (literally) and then the whirling dervish and her spinning sidekick inform me that it's time for Backside, of the Biggest Loser workout set, Frontside and Backside fame. If you've never done these workouts, think paramilitary training with some sadomasochism thrown in for good measure.

Half an hour later I drag myself up the stairs, sweating profusely and shaking, and learn that the DH feels a burning need to spend time with me. But at least I finally get to shower.

After my shower I pull dinner together; consisting of marinated, grilled chicken breasts, succulent BBQed ribs (yum!), baked beans, potato salad, and corn on the cob; and we eat.

Post dinner activity involves watching a movie together for two hours.

Then, finally, I get to flop into bed with a great book. (Janet Evanovich's latest, Lean, Mean, Thirteen).

I find I can only read about 15 minutes before my poor, weary body drops into sleep at about 9:30 pm.

Now, lest you think this was a unique day for me. Let me just say that most weekends, when the dervish and her spinning sidekick are home, are similarly frantic and exhausting.

Though I love my life and wouldn't change it for the world, it is exhausting at times. I always wonder if my life is unique in this way. Let me know if your life is similar. I'd love to hear.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Jessica Shin said...

I planned my 4th of July to include a bottle of chardonnay and a good book. However, this is how it went:

Got up at 8:30 and had coffee.
9:30am began painting. Painted (well, primed) crown molding, chair rails, baseboards, walls until 11pm. Had a glass of wine and passed out.

Anny Cook said...

I spent thirteen years with a 4AM to 11PM schedule. Four kids, a SIL, a grandchild, six cats, two dogs (one was a ST. Bernard) in a double wide mobile home, while working full time, going to school full time, and serving as a taxi driver as hubbie had a seizure and wasn't allowed to drive.

Then he was transferred to another city. I quit job, moved all extraneous family members out of house and sold it. Have one elderly dog and one elderly cat. I'm retired.

I EARNED it!