Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday's Twisted Links

I'm kicking off a brand new event here on the blog and I'm calling it Thursday's Twisted Links. Now, I know a bunch of you toidy-heads have jumped right to dirty thoughts. Shame on you. I'm not talking twisted as in really naughty... Hey you! Come back here! It might be naughty. I don't really know until I start typing. Okay, now sit down and take a deep breath. I don't promise this will be good. But I can assure you it will be moderately interesting. Now, with that very faint praise, I begin.

Here's the premise for Thursday's Twisted Links, heretofore referred to as TTL, just because I'm too lazy to type it all out again. I'm going to pick three, totally random, and violently different things and try to connect them somehow. Sound hard? Ya, you betcha! (that's for my Minnesota friends) And it comes with a warning. Do not! Try this at home.

This week's three things are... drum roll please...

Cheesecake. Hurricane Isaac.  Hummingbirds. 

Good god a'mighty. How am I gonna pull this off?  Sigh... Okay, here goes.

As Hurricane Isaac heads toward the Gulf, millions of Americans either hunker down to prepare for it, or pack a suitcase and leave their homes behind, hoping for the best. There are many things the strong and resilient inhabitants of this country can overcome, but Mother Nature in a bad mood is NOT one of them! So we study the weather reports, determine how hard the coming storm will hit us, and act accordingly. People who decide to hunker down do several things. They board up windows, batten down anything that might take a flyer in high winds, and stock the kitchen. Then they pile onto the couch with a big fat slice of comfort food (can you say cheesecake?) and watch the storm heading their way.

For those who end up leaving, many will stay in a hotel for a couple of days, until the worst of the storm has passed. Those lucky adventurers will eat in restaurants or order room service and it will be the rare warrior who will manage to resist the urge to indulge in the ultimate comfort food during this stressful time. Yup. You guessed it, cheesecake!

So what...I'm sure you're asking...do hummingbirds do during a hurricane? Well, they don't eat cheesecake! Silly you...but they do hunker down. I did some quick research and discovered that Hummingbirds generally do very well in hurricanes. In fact, it appears they are the tiny kings and queens of hunkering down. They find a low, dense place (can anybody say couch?) and hold on with their very strong little feet until the storm passes. Like their human brothers and sisters, these little warriors only leave their couches to run to the kitchen (your lovely sugar water feeders) for a sip of comfort to keep them bright eyed and fan-tailed throughout the storm.

So there you have it. Hurricanes drive sugar consumption, a.k.a. cheesecake and sugar water, hummingbirds and people both hunker down during hurricanes, and cheesecake tastes really good.

What? One of these things is not like the other, you say? So, who cares. I like cheesecake. Sue me. And just for fun, here's a great recipe for Hummingbird Cheesecake. Enjoy!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hummingbird-Cheesecake

No comments: