Thursday, March 19, 2009

At What Price Change?

What exactly was the change we all spoke about during the last election? Was the change that we would stop taking care of ourselves? Was it that we would hate all those who had more money than we had? Less money than we had? A better job? A lesser job? Was the change we talked about that we wanted government to take over our lives? Run everything? Tell us what we can drive? What we can eat? How much money we can make? Which businesses are good and which are bad?

I'm scared about where we are heading. Not the economy...though that's certainly scary enough...but where we are as a people. Do we really want to be these helpless, dependent slugs that can't do anything without the help of the government? Do we really want to abdicate responsibility for our lives to this giant, clueless body that seems willing to take over everything?

Not me. I'm not going down without a fight. I've worked hard...very very hard...for every penny I have, and I'm not going to let some government slug tell me I owe the money to him or anyone else. I've worked hard...very very hard...to take care of my family and be a responsible member of society. I'm not going to accept that now, some interfering body with a totally different value system than mine knows better how my children should be raised, how we should live, or what we should think.

But despite our government's many flaws, it isn't strictly to blame for where we are today. We the people. WE have turned a blind eye to the antics of our elected officials, both sides of the aisle, for decades. We have let them sway us with promises of an easy life. A stress free life. A life where no one ever suffers. No one can give us these things.

We are now reaping what we have sown. It will be up to us to fix it.

How can we do that? We must work together, side by side, to stop the radical changes to our economy...stop punishment of achievers...stop rampant government growth. We need to fight for our right to live as free people. We need to stand up and take care of ourselves, our families, and our communities. We need to be the kind of people our founders turned this country over to.

We owe it to our children. We owe it to the men and women who have died for our rights. We owe it to ourselves.

No comments: